Sister Alphonsa Danovich
Sister Alphonsa Danovich entered the Sisters of St. Basil from St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church in Johnstown on Sept. 16, 1951. She pronounced her First Vows on April 4, 1954, and made her Final Profession Aug. 15, 1957, in the presence of the late Archbishop Nicholas T. Elko. From 1954 to 1971, she served as a teacher in the parish schools of the Byzantine Catholic Metropolitan Province of Pittsburgh. In 1971 she was elected as the general treasurer of the Order with headquarters in Rome, Italy. She later worked in the Vatican Office of the Administration of the Patrimony of the Holy See. After serving as a general councilor, Sister Alphonsa was elected to the position of general superior in 2001. At the completion of her term of office, she returned to the Monastery in Uniontown. In recognition of her service to the church and the Holy See, she was presented the “Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice” award in 1995 by the late Pope John Paul II.